Wilson Chowdhry Chairman of the British Pakistani Christian Association and East Ilford Betterment Partnership was awarded an Anti-knife UK Award for "Services to his Community" on 4th Januray 2013.
The award was presented to Wilson by Danny O'Brien the founder of the group whose sole purpose is to highlight awareness of violent crime and foster change in communities and legislation to eradicate the growing social malaise. Despite being Redbridge based Wilson is the only local man person to receive a trophy.
Wilson was recognised for the Community cohesion and safer environment he has espoused locally in Redbridge via the BPCA and EIBP including;
- BPCA Queens Jubilee Event (15,000 attendance)
- Redbridge Carnival
- Gordon Road Queens Jubilee Street Party
- In excess of 30 community barbecues across the Borough
- Interfaith Harmony meetings at New Clementswood Community Centre (founded by Wilson)
- Input on Clementswood and Mayfield Safer Neighbourhoods Police Panels
- Installation of Redbridge Peace Monument and London Week of Peace concerts for the last two years
- Using his business headquarters as a distribution centre for Police crime prevention devices.
- Initiating 63 new Neighbourhood Watches in his former role as Chair of Redbridge Neighbourhood Watch.
- Successful challenge to extend local "Controlled Alcohol Zone" reducing antisocial behaviour.
- Gaining funding for several gates to protect local alleyways and fencing for vulnerable allotments.
- Introducing the Operation Payback graffitti removal schemes to several wards in the Borough.
Danny O'Brien commented;
"Wilson has been an outstanding voice for the community of Redbridge and he is a recognised figure amongst local crime prevention groups, both statutory and non-statutory. His passion and drive have seen him create innovative programs to challenge existing crime, with exceptional results."
Wilson Chowdhry said;
"I would like to thank Anti-Knife UK for this award which I will cherish. It is always nice to be recognised for my work especially by groups that have such a strong focus on positive change."
Anti-knife UK is still recruiting members to its facebook profile click the link below to learn more: